Standish Parks & Recreation
Skip to nav
Job Description: Before and After School Counselor
Position: Before and After School Counselor
The Before and After School Counselors act as positive role models for children grades K-5 and are responsible for providing a fun, safe, and enjoyable experience for participants enrolled in the Before and After School Program. Schedules available include early mornings, afternoons, and early evenings.
The essential job functions and duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Plans, organizes, and facilitates fun, age-appropriate games and activities for children grades K-5 designed to build self-esteem, teach teamwork, new skills, fair play and good sportsmanship, and encourage interaction.
- Role models positive attitudes and behaviors, including good sportsmanship, hygiene, and overall conduct.
- The counselor needs to be prepared to play with the children in all kinds of weather conditions: cold or hot, rain, snow or sunshine.
- The best childcare counselor is one who can be a jack-of-all-trades, but any trade that the counselor is a “master” of can be incorporated into the program.
- The counselor will be willing to join in on any activity that is taking place to provide supervision to the participants and provide support to the person running the activity. The counselor could engage in any or all of the following activities during the course of the day:
- Outdoor Games
- Arts & Crafts
- Sports Activities (Basketball, Soccer, Baseball/Softball, Kickball, etc.)
- Indoor Games – Board Games, Word Games, etc.
- Homework Help for the Before/After School Program
- Hiking or Swimming
- Drama/Music Programs
- Field Trips when possible
- Maintains accurate attendance rosters and ensures program participants are accounted for at all times.
- Ensures that all environments and equipment used for Before and After School Program are well-maintained and safe and appropriate for children.
- The counselor should be able to stand, stoop, kneel, reach and lift up to 30 pounds
- Demonstrates excellent attendance by fulfilling commitments to scheduled shifts and follows department procedures when unable to work due to avoidable and unavoidable circumstances.
- Follows all Standish Parks and Recreation Department protocols, as well as Town of Standish policies and procedures.
- Represents the Before and After School Program in a positive manner when interacting with participants, parents or community members by maintaining a professional demeanor and communicating respectfully.
To Apply: please complete and submit an application to Jen DeRice firstname.lastname@example.org